As non-profit business advisors, we understand the desire that non-profit leaders have to grow and sustain its operations and programming. There is a method to the madness! You can follow specific steps to ensure your non-profit excels in 2017 and beyond. Beanstalk FCR has created 6 tips for you to follow to assist in growing your non-profit in 2017.
1. #CONCENTRATE: Ensure you have a direct mission. Many non-profits fail simply because they are “all over the place” and have programs that aren’t cohesive. In 2017, make sure your non-profit has a distinctive programmatic focus and become the experts or your mission.
2. #CREATE: Ensure your non-profit has a strategic plan on growing its impact and reach overtime. This includes understanding potential changes in the demographics you may serve. Ex: Homelessness to decrease 17% in the city over the next 3 years. So we plan to expand our services to displaced families in 2 years.
3. #CULTIVATE: Ensure you have a fund development plan, and place a distinctive focus on cultivating donors and volunteers. All non-profits need dedicated donors and volunteers to carry the mission and vision forward. *Most grants and corporate sponsorships require organizations to have a 501c3 status.
4. #COLLAB: Ensure you collaborate with other organizations that could potentially grow you mission and/or teach you how to be better at what you do. Gather with community leaders, advocacy organizations, businesses etc. to further increase expertise and program growth.
5. #CONSISTENCY: Many non-profits conduct community programs for a short time and are never heard from again! No seriously, non-profits disappear into thin air. Make sure your non-profit is consistently active locally and nationally (if possible), visible and recognizable by potential clients. Ex: Victims of sexual assault know how to access your hotline number because programs and advocacy is active and visible in the community.
6. #CRITIQUE: Create outcomes and measures of success for your program’s delivery method or institute a way to gauge results. The best non-profits can display their accomplishments by presenting data and measurable results.
#CONCENTRATE, #CREATE, #CULTIVATE, #COLLAB, #CONSISTENCY, #CRITIQUE… Remember these 6 Tips and watch your non-profit not only grow, but enhance the community it serves. Non-profit leadership is not easy, but if you are dedicated and focused you can grow programs that change the world.
For more information on non-profit advisory help contact Beanstalk Fundraising and Community Relations @BeanstalkFCR, Managing Partner-Owner Christina Payne, MBA @chrissyjpayne, Partner Courtney Taylor, MBA @Taylor_Court.